Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Digital camera in a classic package - the Fuji X100

I normally stick to Nikon related news here, but this camera by Fuji is a real headturner. Following in the footsteps of the Leica M9 Fuji has designed a beautiful classic looking rangefinder camera.




Fuji has designed this camera from the ground up and there are no other cameras that have a feature set quite like it. The fast 23mm f/2 lens gives you a focal length equivalent of about 35mm with the X100's APS-C sized CMOS sensor. This is a great moderately wide angle perfect for street photography and snapshots. Portraits however, are going to be a bit troublesome. The upside is that unlike the Leica the Fuji will have AF capabilities.

The controls are completely analog, all of the settings are controlled by dials on the outside of the camera so there's no digging into menus to change settings like most compact cameras.

The thing that I'm most excited about is the brand new one of a kind hybrid viewfinder. The one thing that has been stopping me from buying a compact camera for everyday photography is having to use the LCD to compose my images. I'm from the old school and I believe that composition is much easier to do when your eye isn't distracted by extraneous details in your peripheral vision. A true optical viewfinder is the only way to go in my opinion.

The cool thing about the hybrid viewfinder is that not only do you see what's coming through the lens the viewfinder also projects your shooting data into the viewfinder. This is a very cool feature. The camera also has a switch so that you can use the electronic viewfinder as well.

Bottom line is that this is one beautiful classic looking camera and if Fuji can bring this in at under $2000 I guarantee this is one camera that will find it's way into my bag. If Henri-Cartier Bresson were alive and shooting digital I'm sure this is the camera he'd be using to capture the decisive moment.

No comments: