Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bonnaroo 2009

I just got back from Bonnaroo 2009 in Manchester TN. It was 4 days of music, art and craziness. Bonnaroo is pretty much a 24 hour festival. Music starts at about noon and goes until 6:30 am sometimes. It was a pretty crazy experience to say the least.

Basically, being a photographer for a wire service you are either shooting or editing and uploading. You have no time for anything else. There were days that I never even got a chance to eat!

That being said, I had a lot of fun and also got to see a lot of great music.

Here's some of the highlights:

Public Enemy. By far this was the best act I saw all weekend. Chuck D and Flavor Flav were on the top of their game. Complete with the S1W's and a full band they performed the entire "It Takes a Nation of Millions" record. It was simply amazing.



Jenny Lewis. A member of Rilo Kiley, her music is kind of in the alt country / indie rock vein. She's got a great voice and stage presence. I'll have to admit that I had never listened to her before, and this was a nice surprise for me. I'll definitely be checking her at when she plays at Stubb's BBQ in Austin next week. Another cool thing was that Elvis Costello was grooving to her and singing right along!





Al Green. Yep, that's right the legendary Al Green. This dude looks great and puts on a hell of a show. His voice is phenomenal, he belted out the tunes just like he did in his 20's. He was impressive to say the least.




There were many, many more great artists and I wish I could cover them all, but as always I'm way too busy! Some of my favorites were: Merle Haggard, Booker T, Todd Snider, Robert Earle Keen, Elvis Costello, and Bruce Springsteen.

No comments: